Sunday, June 19, 2016

Week Two

Fudge's new life continues - eating lots of grass and remembering how to be a horse.  He had a quick chase around the round yard on Friday where I saw some evidence of good dressage paces... occasionally.  When he's tense his movement is quick and stiff but when he relaxes he remembers how to use himself and becomes more loose and suspended.  I suspect tension will be his main stumbling block, he's quite reactive and sensitive.
I insisted on several long canters and he was happy to sort his own leads out, changing in front, behind, late, early and generally just very unbalanced and uncoordinated.  I'm not too concerned about this as I think partly he just needs some bodywork, strengthening and conditioning.  Nobody would be feeling their best after the sort of confinement he's just come out of.
I gave him another shampoo and spent some time desensitising his ears - I will definitely be starting clicker training with him soon to make this groundwork very positive.  Just need to find exactly the right food reward, it's definitely not apples but he seems to quite like carrots.  He also ate his complete pelleted feed happily (and hungrily) out of my hands so that might be an easy option too.
He had another shampoo and enjoyed being curry combed while soapy.  He's quite an itchy horse. Here he is back in the paddock soaking wet and mid-neigh.  I think he's looking a little rounder already!

No comments:

Post a Comment