At the time I felt a little disappointed that he didn't settle as well as I'd have hoped but on reflection he actually did fine. He loaded and travelled well, was easy to handle and 'came back' every time I redirected him when he was distracted (which was often!) He was tense while I was warming up - I didn't canter as I felt he was too uptight - and then once we got in the indoor for the trail, he did all the obstacles well, tackling the bridge with some trepidation initially but very quickly learning to tromp over it bravely! He was also sweet about the various pole exercises, struggled a bit with the gate and I need to do more work on my one-handed steering but also all very amenable. He even reined-back multiple steps which was very surprising given how strongly he'd objected just a few days before.
The following day I took the opportunity to put one of my students on him both for her to have a feel of how he was going and so that I had a chance to observe some of the details of how he is looking. Overall I was very pleased with how he went for her. Maybe a little hesitant to begin with, after all, I'm the only person that's ridden him for the last eight months or so, but she rides well and is sensitive and has good feel so she soon had him swinging along. My major observation is that he probably feels better than he looks at this point. He's still looking quite insecure in the contact, his long neck makes it look wigglier than it feels. He also sits in his 'safe' trot which feels very nice but is lacking in power and proper engagement and when you see it from the ground you can see that he's got a lot more to give. I also saw how good it looks when he does suddenly give a 'surge' and find the engagement but I have to be a little bit careful how much I ask for and remember that it will take a reasonable amount of time for him to develop the muscular strength required to maintain the true working trot he's showing me he's capable of.
The canter also looked great - better than I expected - especially when R used shoulder-in to prepare for the strike-offs. The more engaged strike-offs made the canter way more uphill and it was great to see he's capable of such work as to me, the canter feels green as grass under saddle, particularly compared with his ease in the trot. Here he is doing some stretchy trot with her - I love the tempo but you can see he needs to go forward more and be more confident and secure into the rein.
So, lots to reflect on!
I had another ride the following day and used my observations to change my approach a little bit. I tried holding the contact very still and stable, keeping my upper body very independent and forcing myself to rise to the trot (although R and I both agreed he finds it easier to balance under a softly sitting rider.) The rises helped me insist on a bigger stride and maintain the lovely steady tempo. I felt like it worked very well!
I was also really pleased that he offered some very confident and prolonged rein back steps, maybe ten or so, with almost no resistance and very nice big steps. Consolidating that movement in hand has been a very good move and I think he's also realised that I'm not going to force him which makes him offer it more willingly.
Unfortunately, the canter strike-offs were woeful on the left rein. I think he went on the wrong leg about ten times! Will have to do more getting the preparation really right and trying to get him really obedient off the aid and not running into it. The two running steps he habitually offers on the left rein are what gives him the opportunity to get onto the wrong lead. I need to be a little bolder about letting the strike-off be a bit bigger and more explosive off a bigger, non-negotiable aid.
Day off tomorrow, then another school on Wednesday afternoon! Will try a few more things in hand including putting the whip on the offside and attempting some travers...
No comments:
Post a Comment